Yes – of course we do advise our customers and inform them about special rules for cyclists.
Madrid’s cycling law is called Ordenanza de Movilidad Sostenible, or translated to English, sustainable mobility ordinance. It was approved by the council of Madrid 5 October 2018. This law introduced several changes in all the city of Madrid, some of them modifying the previous status of the bicycle. The most important changes were:
- Bicyclists must ride in the middle of the lane. Before, bicyclists may ride in the middle of the lane.
- Bicyclists are allowed to travel in the opposite direction of the other traffic in living streets.
- Bicyclists may use whichever lane on the road they want, although the rightest one is preferred.
- Bicyclists are not allowed to use bus lanes, unless there are explicit signs to do so. By the way, cyclists must ride on the left side of the bus lane. Note that in Madrid, taxis and motorcycles are allowed to drive on all bus lanes, except motorcycles on the la Castellana bus lane.
- Two bicycles may ride parallel in the same lane, unless this behaviour places in danger another cyclists or in bus lanes authorized to cyclists.
- It is not mandatory that cyclists ride through bicycleways, unless it exists a mandatory cycleway sign.
- It is forbidden to ride on the pavement, on pedestrian streets and on pedestrian zones.
- Turn on red is allowed to bicycles if there is a traffic sign allowing that.